Sunday, March 4, 2012

Details, Details

So driving back from my meet at Rutgers last night I wrote 
everything down about the meet, the variables, what
 I had control over, what was good, what I 
can improve on. I woke up this morning absolutely so
 tired, more fatigued than I have ever felt in a very long time.

Rutgers events- 100 free,50 back, and lastly 100 back. My times 
were consistent  and slightly faster than my last meet. No best times,
 but I've been training really hard. I was 2 seconds off my 100 back 
American Record, and for having to improvise my starts as I 
forgot my starting device. 

What was good- finishes, turns, stroke/pull. My coach I went to 
Greece with said this was the best she's ever seen me. I'm the most 
water efficient I've ever been. She was really impressed by my
 finishes and there was no hesitation with my turns. I was swimming
 straight and sprinted into the wall for a finish.

What can improve on- making the last 50 in my 100s faster as I know I 
can swim under the times I did this weekend. I'll be improving on keeping
 both of my 50s in the 100s consistent.
 I can certainly improve on certain techniques in regards to my backstroke. 

Variables- The air on the pool deck was colder than the water, I was 
shivering the entire time even with 3 towels and a jacket on. The new 
Lazer I brought was too loose on me as there were no red marks on my
 shoulders and there were major gaps in my upper body. Had to 
improvise my backstroke start as the meet was using national 
guidelines (which I didn't know) and was not 
allowed to use the gutter and didn't know I needed to bring my starting 
rope. I improvised by having my coach hold my feet at the wall and start
 by laying on my back instead of what I've been practicing. For the 100 
free and 50 back I may have had 5 minutes in between those events, if 
any. In addition, I was in the car for 3 hours that morning driving 
from CT to Rutgers. So many variables that effected my races,
 but I managed everything well. 

Mentally- The more I relaxed, the faster I was. I was way too intense, 
stressed, and put too much pressure on myself as I was concentrating on 
what times I wanted which is the absolute worst thing to do. I need to 
learn how to let go and know swimming has a place in my life. I 
definitely need to stop being so hard on myself. My true goal is to keep 
going, improving, and to know that I swim faster when I'm relaxed and 
not stressing about things I cannot control.

All in all, I'm still exhausted, but loved the meet! I loved cheering
 on our new swimmers yesterday; it was truly refreshing. 
Currently, I'm going back to bed, study for my midterms 
and train again tomorrow.
 I know it's 9am, but good night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment