Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Summer's Finally Here!

I just finished with my final semester as a sophomore last Thursday and never looked back! I was so stressed on Thursday that I made myself do nothing on Friday...literally nothing and forced myself to feel bored. I've been programmed to go to class, study, go back home, eat, study, run in the water that just doing nothing felt really weird. At first it was fine, I thought it was fun channel surfing, but I like to be busy so I broke my "rule" of not doing anything and went out. 

Last Monday my physical therapist cleared me to start swimming again! After about a month of not doing the things I wanted, I truly felt overjoyed! I do have to say, I was very impressed with myself for running in the water for about a month and not tempted at all to start swimming when no one was looking! The same day I finished my last exam was also my first practice back with my team. Although I was in for about 20 minutes it felt exhilarating and I had no pain! I loved seeing my coaches and teammates too. I'm only swimming a 100 (4 laps) with rest in between each lap, but the plan is to not overdo anything and slowly build back up so I can be training normally by mid/late June. I have a feeling everything is going to work this time.

Also last Monday I had the privilege of speaking at the Hospital for Special Care Ivan Lendl Golf Classic. The event was a fundraiser for the hospital's challenged athlete program which I have been apart of since July 2007. I did feel a bit nervous and stressed as I came from a study session, but I loved meeting our supporters and sponsors. I soon felt fine as I met legendary tennis player, Ivan Lendl, and the family who founded the hospital's disability sports camp. I was told to prepare a speech for roughly 5 minutes and spoke about the benefits of the hospital's athletic program. I mentioned my coach, Joan, and how I remember calling her, asking if I would be able to be on her swim team. I honestly never realized the impact that moment had on me until I reflected for speech material. I just remember feeling so nervous when first talking to her and not knowing if I'd ever be good enough to swim. It's quite rewarding to look back on that experience and see that she's been there for all my national meets and traveled to the Greek Open with me. That's how much the Hospital for Special Care cares about their local athletes, no matter their talents or goals, it's just about getting out there and having fun. That's why at the banquet while standing in front of the podium I was humbled to be with the countless sponsors who keep this athletic program running. And for that I'm deeply grateful. After I finished my speech I soon saw that I was given a standing ovation. I felt honored to be there that night.

As for now, I'm just happy to be back in the water and rebuilding my stamina. I'm taking time out to relax and spend time with friends I haven't seen in a while. I'm SO excited for my cousin's wedding in June! I just bought a dress for that today! I'll be taking a public speaking class which starts in late June and will be going to a swim meet in Canada in July. Those are most of my plans for the summer, but they can always change. Whatever happens, what I know for certain is that summer's finally here!

No comments:

Post a Comment